Shooting in Frederick, Maryland: 2 sailors are hospitalized after a shooting near Fort Detrick, Maryland. This is what we know

US Navy hospital worker Casey Nutt, 26, was released from a trauma center on Tuesday evening, and Hospital Corpsman 1st Class Carlos Portugal, 36, remains at the trauma center in critical condition, according to a press release issued Wednesday by local and federal authorities.

The two victims were removed from the scene by helicopter, police said.

The Navy has identified the shooter like Fantahun Girma Woldesenbet, a member of the Navy Hospital Corps who was shot and killed by police. Fort Detrick officials told CNN he was assigned to this facility.

The incident ended when the gunman was fatally shot by police after brandishing a gun at the facilities, the army sergeant. General Michael J. Talley said.

Authorities are investigating both the motive and the circumstances of the incident, Talley told reporters at a press conference Tuesday afternoon. Here’s what we know so far:

How the day went

Police were called to the scene of the first scene, about 6 km east of Fort Detrick, around 8:20 a.m., Lando said earlier. “We know that some people have fled the company,” Lando said.

Frederick Police Chief Jason Lando said the first shooting took place at “a military institution” in Riverside Tech Park.

In a press release, the police department said the building was a warehouse leased by the Naval Medical Research Center, the Biological Defense Research Directorate to store research supplies and equipment.

After the shooting, a victim walked into a nearby business, Nicolock Paving Stones, and called for help, a person said.

“Our team was able to help them and called the authorities,” read a statement issued by Jeremy Mutschler, director of marketing and advertising at Nicolock. The statement points out that the shooting did not take place in Nicolock.

READ  Jen Psaki says she spoke with Biden's transition team about a term of around a year

Officials identified this person as Nutt.

Portugal was found in the warehouse where the initial shooting took place, the statement said.

The gunman was stopped at the gates of the facility, but before the vehicle could be searched, the gunman took off.

He was arrested about 1 mile from the facility, where he got out of the car, brandished a gun and was shot by police, Talley told reporters.

What a witness said

Garett Wagner, the director of operations at Nicolock Paving Stones, was discussing the price changes with a new seller when Nutt arrived, his military fatigues covered in blood.

“I’ve been shot. Please help me. There’s an active shooter, he’s still chasing me,” Wagner told him.

Wagner said he quickly sprang into action, telling Nutt to go into the bathroom and close the door. The seller and another employee locked the front door, he said.

“I can’t tell you if I was scared or if I was scared or if I was trying to help,” Wagner said. “I do not know.”

Wagner said he gathered all the employees in the back, telling them to close the door until he returned.

The manager called 911, but another employee had already called.

“You don’t think it’s going to happen here… so it happened, and it happened,” Wagner said. “Did we do the right thing? Did we do the right thing? I think so. I do not know.”


Frederick Police Chief Jason Lando said the shooter used a rifle but provided no additional information about the weapon.

Fort Detrick is an Army biomedical and research facility. There are elements of other military branches on the post. According to the website Military installations, there are approximately 1,300 active duty military personnel and 8,500 civilians and contractors at Fort Detrick or the Forest Glen campus in Silver Spring, Maryland.

Frederick is approximately 50 miles northwest of Washington, DC. Woldesenbet was an E-4 and did not live at Fort Detrick, officials said.

READ  Coronavirus Latest Covid-19 news and updates from around the world

Agencies helping Frederick’s police include the FBI; the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives; Maryland State Police; and the Frederick County Sheriff’s Office.

The FBI is handling the first scene of filming, officials said.

CNN’s Jason Hanna, Melissa Alonso, Joe Johns, Amanda Watts, Michael Callahan and Chris Boyette contributed to this report.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *